Krista Elliott interviews Rev Dr TIM COSTELLO AO, CEO of World Vision Australia, and brother of Hon Peter Costello AC, the longest serving Commonwealth Treasurer for Australia.
In 2004, Tim was named Victorian of the Year; in June 2005 he was made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO); and in 2006 was named Victoria’s Australian of the Year.
Tim Costello is one of Australia’s most recognised voices on social justice, leadership and ethics, having engaged in public debates on gambling, urban poverty, homelessness, reconciliation and substance abuse.
TOPICS covered in this 40min conversation include:
• Tim and Peter both studied law at Monash University and were involved in the World Vision 40 Hour famine fund raising event in the 70s.
• Tim has been the Senior Minister at Collins St Baptist Church Melbourne (where he founded Urban Seed outreach to the urban poor) and St Kilda Baptist Church (where he built the congregation up from 8 to 200, meanwhile practicing as a lawyer and serving as the Mayor of St Kilda).
• A tribute to his wife Meridee and children Claire, Elliot and Martin.
• YGAP (Y Generation Against Poverty), which was co-founded by Tim's son Elliot, creates fundraising campaigns and commercial enterprises to support missionary work at home and abroad. These include: Feast of Merit Restaurant Richmond, Kinfolk cafe in Melbourne city, and the 5c Campaign.
• Family life, growing up in a Christian home, both parents were school teachers, and co-founded Crossway Baptist church. Being a husband and a father, raising his own kids in a Christian setting.
• Tim's views on health, fitness and education (both formal and informal).
• Tim's comments about community Radio and Television, the Not For Profit sector, and his Chairing of the Community Council of Australia.
• The purpose of life.
• Putting faith into action with love, grace, acceptance, inclusiveness and practical service. We as individuals matter. God knows us, made us and loves us and the Church is meant to be the expression of that.
• His most recent book, "Hope: Moments of Inspiration in a Challenging World"